Hi everyone,

I've been lurking and enjoying reading the posts so far ... much as I'm
intrigued by all the possibilities for nocturnal observations, for the fall
I'm primarily preoccupied with being up at dawn to do migration monitoring
via mist-netting (at McGill Bird Observatory in Montreal, Quebec).  As an
aside, we happen to have an Environment Canada radar station within 1 km of
our site, but as was noted the other day, the images released to the public
aren't useful for tracking migration - if anybody does find a way around
that, we'd be most interested.

Regarding the direction of flight paths, I have a couple of comments.  A
couple of years ago I had an opportunity to take a portable radar unit into
the foothills of northeastern British Columbia (approx 1800 - 2000 m / 5500
- 6000 ft elevation).  I operated it for a few hours after dusk in three
different locations to get an idea of how migrants were moving (both
direction and height).  While topography would certainly be expected to have
an effect in a landscape with stark ridges and valleys, I was still
surprised at just how varied the movements were ... even in early September,
there were nearly as many heading straight north as south (let alone most
other directions).

The other note is that analysis of banding data suggests that for a lot of
species, the notion of "traditional" north-south migration may not be all
that accurate.  In fact, the Canadian Atlas of Bird Banding
(http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/publications/BBA-AOB/v1ed2/index_e.cfm) shows
quite a strong northwest-southeast axis of movement for many species across
much of the continent (and skewing toward northeast-southwest in the far
east).  This is shown particularly well by Common Redpoll
(http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/publications/BBA-AOB/v1ed2/ShowBird.cfm?lang=e&;
aou=5280), though admittedly it isn't a typical migrant.  Still, the pattern
isn't all that different for others I randomly picked to look at, such as
Yellow-rumped Warbler
(http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/publications/BBA-AOB/v1ed2/ShowBird.cfm?lang=e&;
aou=6550) and Swainson's Thrush
(http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/publications/BBA-AOB/v1ed2/ShowBird.cfm?lang=e&;
aou=7580).  For many other species there aren't enough recoveries mapped to
describe any clear pattern, but it still looks like truly north-south
movements are far from typical. How this translates on a local level I'm not
sure - I expect we have much yet to learn (a common sentiment it seems).
But I wouldn't be surprised if in some cases different species (or even
different populations of the same species) moving through the same area
might be heading in somewhat different directions.

Happy observing,

Marcel Gahbauer
Executive Director
The Migration Research Foundation