On 2/20/18 1:06 PM, Frank Filz wrote:
As I'm trying to update nfs41.h, I've run into the problem that the commit
check
is complaining that the pointer '*' on parameters is sometimes " * v" and
others
" *v" -- usually the same function definition.

Presumably the generator made these.  They are cosmetic.

Why oh why are we checking this now, after all these years?

Do I need to make a pass fixing all these header files before doing real
coding?

Or can we turn off this silly cosmetic check?

The problem is that checkpatch gets confused between multiplication and
pointer. Shame on C for overloading *...

The problem is that checkpatch doesn't recognize, for example, SVCXPRT as a
type, so it thinks SVCXPRT *xprt is a multiplication rather than a
declaration.

The number of places this causes problems is tiny (and mostly confined to
nfsv41.h and nfs23.h) that I have just decided to live with SVCXPRT * xprt.

Well, I cannot, because it won't let me commit anything in those files.

[...]
I suppose now that it seems to complain either way, we can fix them all to
not have the space, and just force the commit and ignore the checkpatch
warnings (when I see ONLY warnings for things I know we can't/won't fix in
gerrithub, I ignore them and merge anyway). I'm not sure how much of a
potential merge headache changing them all would cause though. I don't think
nfsv41.h gets changed all that much so even if we had to backport something,
the potential manual merge wouldn't be awful.

New -dev cycle, so it's time.

[...] > I sympathize with your grumbling about this one... I've chosen the set
of
checkpatch checks to enable based on what seems to work best for our code
and keeps us as consistent style as possible. I realize some folks have
preferences opposite some of the checks, but our code style is now what it
is...

Or not, as in this case.

Anyway, I'll try to push a patch for those 2 files by tomorrow.