Kyle

Running too hot a bulb would not be a symptom, it would be THE cause.  The 
symptom/result would be a melted plastic part.  Another possibility would be a 
perfectly good bulb and socket somehow getting too close the plastic part (I 
don't know what it is but I suspect it is the lens, else the inspectors would 
not have seen it.  I can't believe they took the taillight apart to inspect it. 
  Well, maybe, for $65!!!)
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Kyle Munz 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 8:09 PM
  Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Tail light melted


  My choice of words may be misunderstood. My point being that he should find 
the cause of the meltdown rather than just replacing the housing and moving on. 
If it was simply an oversized bulb then replacing the housing and the correct 
bulb will be the proper repair, but that needs to be determined first. In that 
case however, the melted socket is still a "symptom" of running too hot a bulb 
in that housing, rather than the cause.

  -Kyle


  On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Gene Henry <[email protected]> wrote:

    No, not everyone agrees that the melted socket is a symptom and not the 
problem.  The socket is metal-probably brass-and cannot melt.  It is the 
plastic parts around it somewhere that are melted.  And that is due to heat.  
Although that could be a wrong/oversize/overcurrent bulb, it is more likely to 
be a bad connection between the socket and the bulb that created a high 
resistance and heat producing point.  It could be limited to the bulb, which 
would be eliminated when the bulb was replaced, but I would carefully check the 
socket for a bad contact, and replace it if at all in doubt.  Automotive supply 
stores have sockets that would probably work, at least temporarily.  Be sure 
there is a grounding method/wire on any improvised socket.  A short/grounding 
in the wiring would cause heating at the point of the short/grounding, and not 
at the socket.  Heating in the socket/bulb is caused by the socket/bulb.

    Trust me.  The check is in the mail.  I will respect and call you tomorrow.

    Gene

    F.Y.I.  (None of these definitions are the same nor interchangeable.)
    Short:  A "shortened" electrical path that allows 
excess/unintended/undesired current to flow.  Sometimes accompanied by 
heat/fireworks/excitement etc.
    Ground:  A path that allows current to flow to the ground or common side of 
a circuit.  Sometimes deliberate and planned.  Sometimes unintended/undesired.  
See "short". As in short to ground.
    Open:  For electrical current to do its job, it needs an outgoing path from 
the power source and a return to the same source.  Along the way it will 
encounter control devices, switches, etc. and pass through the intended use of 
the power, a light, a motor, the coil of a relay, etc.  An open is any break in 
this circuit that prevents the current flow.

    ----- Original Message ----- 
      From: Kyle Munz 
      To: [email protected] 
      Sent: Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:42 PM
      Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Tail light melted


      If the point is just to get the bike inspected as quickly as possible so 
you can register it and then troubleshoot the light later, why not try taking 
it to another shop? As long as it still lights up, medium while the bike is 
running and full bright when you apply either brake, it should pass. I'm sure 
there's a shop somewhere near you that is too busy to look too closely at the 
bike and just wants to see it shine and that's it. I'm not suggesting that you 
don't fix it eventually though, everyone on this list is right in saying that 
the melted socket is the symptom, not the problem.

      -Kyle



      On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Javier Garcia <[email protected]> 
wrote:


        Hi Dick... well the light does work, however I haven't check the 
socket. The guys that did the inspection told me about it. Unfortunately I 
don't have any tools with me, or a nice place to work on the bike... I'll try 
to buy at least some screwdrivers to check the tail light for myself. 
Nevertheless I haven't found a replacement yet. Do you know where can I look 
for it?
        Thanks
        Javier 



        On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Dick MacInnes <[email protected]> wrote:

          Javier

          Does the bulb work, and does it look like it was in there when the 
socket overheated? If so, it could be an earlier bulb shorted and overheated 
the socket, then the previous owner just replaced the bulb.

          Dick













  

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to