Wow, that sucks. I can remember driving from station to station back in HS
until I found one that would pass my car. Still though, $65 is insane pass
or fail.

-Kyle


On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Dennis Hammerl <[email protected]> wrote:

> In PA, they allow for the charge to be made despite failure. $25 most
> places. There is a catch 22. The inspection mechanic can issue a certificate
> of failure which is a multiple page form. The owner gets one and the next
> copy goes to the State Police who oversee the inspection stations. The owner
> has to repair the failure and return it to the issuing inspection station. I
> don't know of any station that actually does this but it is on the books.
> I've done it to a few jerks that contested a call. "it doesn't need head
> bearings, all bikes have a stop in the middle" ... yeah, right.
>
> --- On *Sat, 3/21/09, Kyle Munz <[email protected]>* wrote:
>
> From: Kyle Munz <[email protected]>
> Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Tail light melted
> To: [email protected]
> Date: Saturday, March 21, 2009, 9:04 PM
>
>
> Holy crap! They charge your $65 even if you don't pass??!?!?!?! In Texas
> it's $15.50 for the inspection, and that's ONLY if you pass and they cut you
> a sticker. If you don't pass, you don't pay. Even inspections for a full
> 4wheeled car are less than $40. I guess they would be thorough if they're
> charging you 2 arms and 1 leg.
>
> -Kyle
> -Jaw still hanging open
>
>
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Javier Garcia <[email protected]>wrote:
>
>>
>> Kyle, I though about it. The problem with is the risk of paying $65 and
>> not passing again. I just check for myself how it looks like. I just took
>> out the seat, and there you can see the hole where the lights are. There are
>> two bulbs, each one with its own socket. They are attached to the plastic
>> structure (the whole plastic part where the red screen is). One of the bulbs
>> melted down the plastic around, then when down (still attached to its socket
>> and wire), and melt another part of the plastic below. I don't see anything
>> wrong with the socket itself nor with the bulge. It may be that the previous
>> owner replace it _after_ the melting down. So as far as I can tell, what I
>> should do is to replace the whole part.
>> If I could find a used part for a cheap price just to pass the inspection
>> it would be great. Of course, the price has to be well under $65 which is
>> the cost of another inspection in a different place.
>>
>> Javier.
>>
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 7:42 PM, Kyle Munz <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> If the point is just to get the bike inspected as quickly as possible so
>>> you can register it and then troubleshoot the light later, why not try
>>> taking it to another shop? As long as it still lights up, medium while the
>>> bike is running and full bright when you apply either brake, it should pass.
>>> I'm sure there's a shop somewhere near you that is too busy to look too
>>> closely at the bike and just wants to see it shine and that's it. I'm not
>>> suggesting that you don't fix it eventually though, everyone on this list is
>>> right in saying that the melted socket is the symptom, not the problem.
>>>
>>> -Kyle
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 7:21 PM, Javier Garcia <[email protected]>wrote:
>>>
>>>>
>>>> Hi Dick... well the light does work, however I haven't check the socket.
>>>> The guys that did the inspection told me about it. Unfortunately I don't
>>>> have any tools with me, or a nice place to work on the bike... I'll try to
>>>> buy at least some screwdrivers to check the tail light for myself.
>>>> Nevertheless I haven't found a replacement yet. Do you know where can I 
>>>> look
>>>> for it?
>>>> Thanks
>>>> Javier
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 2:32 PM, Dick MacInnes <[email protected]>wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>  Javier
>>>>>
>>>>> Does the bulb work, and does it look like it was in there when the
>>>>> socket overheated? If so, it could be an earlier bulb shorted and 
>>>>> overheated
>>>>> the socket, then the previous owner just replaced the bulb.
>>>>>
>>>>> Dick
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>
> >
>

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to