Eurika!!

I reread the K&N instructions and realised I needed to put snorkel
back on and I was running it without it.  It runs fine with the
Snorkel back on!!!


THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!  I learned a lot in the process!!!



On Mar 29, 3:49 pm, Snookfever <[email protected]> wrote:
> I did not find anything in the slow jets. I did find some particles in
> the bowls. However when looking through them the oppening did not
> appear to be perfectly round. Could be optical illusion. I did have to
> work the wire a few times before it would go back and forth easily. I
> did not inspect the mains.  No poping just bogged down when you turned
> throttel above 3-4k. The K&N is cone shaped.  The K&N instructions
> call for the removal of the snorkel and to flip the lid and bolt it
> down. That is what I did. Are you saying leave snokel and mount lid as
> factory?
>
> With the wired slow jets it takes off without hesitation now.  THANKS!
>
> When I first start it and warm it up it seems to respond to throttle
> better and smoother with a little choke. No choke it will pop and
> break up a bit at the top 7-8K when you snap the throttle.
>
> Thanks for the help we are making improvements.
>
> Raining today so cant ride, will try a little choke and  check back as
> soon as I can.
>
> Thanks for all your help
>
> On Mar 28, 12:07 am, Dennis Hammerl <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Find anything in the slow jets ? How about the brass tubes above the mains 
> > ? At 3~4K you start to depend on the next circuits to supply fuel. Since 
> > these have enricheners and not chokes, you can add some choke to make it 
> > run richer. Now if that helps, increase the main jets to 120. You don't 
> > specify if the stumble is just that or it is popping. ?? A pop is a good 
> > indication of lean. If it truly is that lean, you could'nt get it to go 
> > above 5k at all. Getting it up there slowly means to me (IMHO) that the air 
> > speed is too slow to pick off fuel. That's where the choke addition comes 
> > in. If that makes it worse, let me know. A high air flow filter actually 
> > causes a slowing of the flow. Untill they repeal the laws of physics (Obama 
> > just might) high speed air works best. You do have the lid on the air box ? 
> > With the snorkle ? I hope so. A complete air box is vital.
> > One more thing, is this K&N cone shaped ?
>
> > --- On Fri, 3/27/09, Snookfever <[email protected]> wrote:
> > From: Snookfever <[email protected]>
> > Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: 1984 Nighthawk 700s K&N Air filter
> > To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" <[email protected]>
> > Date: Friday, March 27, 2009, 12:56 PM
>
> > Ok, I wired the slow jets,put the K&N air filter in. I found some
> > particles in the bottom of the carbs so I added an in line fuel
> > filter.
>
> > It ran fine at idle. Take off was ok. When you open the throttle from
> > 3k to 4K it sputtered, could not get to 5 K and beyond without very
> > gradual throttle turn.
>
> > Plug Test:
>
> > Cleaned number 1 and 4 plug and replaced.  Both were brown on one side
> > and white on the other
>
> > Pulled plugs after 1 mile ride and no real color change from cleaned
> > look.
>
> > What now?
>
> > Glen
>
> > On Mar 22, 6:38 pm, Dennis Hammerl <[email protected]> wrote:> If you 
> > can't pass a wire through it, it isn't clean. That's
>
> > what I mean. The wire size is .0011" for a #35 slow jet. I don't care
> > if you can blow through it, see through it,etc. If a .0011" wire
> > doesn't pass through it, NG.> If you want it to work with a K&N, test that 
> > way.
>
> > > --- On Sun, 3/22/09, Snookfever <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > From: Snookfever <[email protected]>
> > > Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: 1984 Nighthawk 700s K&N Air filter
> > > To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!"
>
> > <[email protected]>> Date: Sunday, March 22, 2009, 2:19 AM
>
> > > What do you mean by did I wire out the slow jet?  I soked them in
> > > acetone and blew them out with compressed air. I pulled  number 4 plug
> > > it was light tan on the insulation with some black on the threads.
> > > Should I run the plug test with the stock filter or the K&N?
>
> > > On Mar 21, 3:03 pm, Dennis Hammerl <[email protected]> wrote:>
>
> > Did you wire out the slow jet ? And yes, I have a method of enriching a
>
> > > K&N filter. I have one in one of my 700s and it required no changes
> > but I
> > > did a neat stunt and gave it more bottom end. My 700s pulls hard from 2K
> > up.
> > > Made huge difference for me. I granny around a lot and spend too much time
> > in
> > > traffic. Less shifting now. To understand it, you need to grasp air flow
> > > dynamics. The British did some good research on it back in the 50's.
> > Get it
> > > to work right first.
>
> > > > --- On Sat, 3/21/09, Snookfever <[email protected]>
> > wrote:
> > > > From: Snookfever <[email protected]>
> > > > Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: 1984 Nighthawk 700s K&N Air
> > filter
> > > > To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!"
>
> > > <[email protected]>
>
> > > > Date: Saturday, March 21, 2009, 9:57 AM
>
> > > > I am very meticulous so I completely tore down the carbs and cleaned
> > > > evey single part individually including pilot, needle,main jets,
> > > > choke, every part.  I was careful to put the same part back in the
> > > > same carbs.  I also disasembled and cleaned the petcock and screen.
> > I
> > > > blew every part dry with compressed air, I replaced O-rings and
> > > > reasembled. The factory air filter is relatively new.
>
> > > > I installed the K&N as instructed and removed the snorkel flipped
> > the
> > > > lid and installed. With the factory air box it idles perfect, but
> > does
> > > > hesitate just a little at take off.  I will perform the spark plug
> > > > check and get back to you, but when I pulled one they were lite
> > > > colored. Looks like she is running a little lean.  If that is the
> > case
> > > > what do you do to enrich?
>
> > > > Thanks for the help
>
> > > > On Mar 20, 12:55 am, Dennis Hammerl <[email protected]>
> > wrote:>
>
> > > Above 5k it runs mostly on the mains. I expected you to say right off idle
>
> > > > when pulling out. If you really cleaned the carbs, how ?> Now to
> > do a
>
> > > defined search for your problem. Ride the bike at the problem
>
> > > > RPM for several minutes.put up with all it's actions. Ride it for
> > at
> > > least a
> > > > half mile that way. Pull the clutch and shut it down with the kill
> > switch.
> > > Pull
> > > > over and remove some plugs. White ? brown ?, black ?> Take a
> > picture
>
> > > and forward. A plug reading, done right will indicate the
>
> > > > nature of the problem.> From what you tell me about the tank rust
>
> > > problem, I suspect the supply is
>
> > > > poor to the carbs. The original air filter (especially if it was
> > somewhat
> > > dirty)
> > > > would be a compliment to a poor delivery system. The K&N, passing
> > more
> > > air,
> > > > would not. In other words.. lean, white plugs. Main jets are not
> > likely to
> > > ever
> > > > clog, but with an inadequate fuel supply the condition you describe
> > would
> > > be
> > > > expected.> One last point for this post, are you installing the
> > K&N
> > > with the
>
> > > > air-box lid ? Very tempting to do. It sounds neat, but runs poorly. 
>
> > > > > --- On Thu, 3/19/09, Snookfever <[email protected]>
> > > wrote:
> > > > > From: Snookfever <[email protected]>
> > > > > Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: 1984 Nighthawk 700s K&N Air
> > > filter
> > > > > To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!"
>
> > > > <[email protected]>
>
> > > > > Date: Thursday, March 19, 2009, 1:13 AM
>
> > > > > Dennis,
>
> > > > > Withe the K&N It is not responsive,bogs down when
> > accelerating.
> > >  I do
> > > > > not remember the exact RPM range, but I think above 5K so maybe
> > > > > midrange.  I discovered rust in the fuel tank (fuel on pant
> > leg) a
> > > few
> > > > > week after I got the bike.  The carbs looked like they were
> > painted
> > > > > red with the rust particles.  I redid the tank with KBS
> > coatings and
> > > > > did a complete carb breakdown and cleaning and the carbs looked
> > > great.
> > > > > I sinked the butterflies manually with the stem of a micrometer
> > and
> > > it
> > > > > ran great.
>
> > > > > With the OEM filter It does take a few minutes to warm up or it
> > will
> > > > > want to die at take off. I have a shop manual and reset the
> > pilots
> > > the
> > > > > same number of turn as they were set from the factory.
>
> > > > > On Mar 19, 12:27 am, Dennis Hammerl <[email protected]>
> > > wrote:>
>
> > > > If you can describe what crap runs like, maybe I can help. By
> > themselves,
>
> > > > > K&N filters do not affect anything. Great replacements
> > (sorry
> > > Stanley)
> > > > > Installed properly, they require no rejetting. Mine works fine.
>
> > > > > > --- On Wed, 3/18/09, Snookfever
>
> > <[email protected]>
>
> > > > wrote:
> > > > > > From: Snookfever <[email protected]>
> > > > > > Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] 1984 Nighthawk 700s K&N Air
> > > filter
> > > > > > To: "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!"
>
> > > > > <[email protected]>
>
> > > > > > Date: Wednesday, March 18, 2009, 11:14 PM
>
> > > > > > I bought a K&N air filter, but it makes the bike run
> > like
> > > crap.
> > > > What
> > > > > > do I need to do the carbs?
>
> > > > > > Looking for a nose cone for my 700S, where can I find one?
>
> > > > > > Sincerely,
>
> > > > > > Snookfever2- Hide quoted text -
>
> > > > > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
>
> > > > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
>
> > > > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
>
> > > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
>
> > > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
>
> > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
>
> > - Show quoted text -- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to