Good article, except for the fact that they forgot the most important reason to not use car oil. That is additives that will reduce friction in your clutch. I personally ruined a perfectly good clutch by running Mobil 1 high mileage. I had previously used Mobil 1 with no ill affect, so I think that is safe, bottom line is that when they are formulating car oils they don't need to worry about wet clutches. So if you choose to use car oil you need to know it is safe for your clutch, and the formula used in any specific car oil could change with out notice. I personally don't have any issues with running diesel oil, which doesn't have restrictions on phosphate levels, since diesels don't have catalytic converters.
On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 12:57 AM, Mt.-n-Man Chia Bar <[email protected]>wrote: > Here is a great artcal on oils > http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm > But as always the decision is yoursd and yours alone on what oil you > use > > On Apr 14, 11:31 am, Fred <[email protected]> wrote: > > Hi, I bought a 1986 Honda Nighthawk 450. I am going to change the > oil. > > Should I use Motorcycle oil, Standard car oil, or Synthetic motorcycle > oil, > > or synthetic car oil,? The bike has 15000 miles on it and it runs > well. > > Thank you for your help. Fred > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. > To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > [email protected]. > For more options, visit this group at > http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en. > > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en.
