Having owned and toured on a 82-650.  I did a couple 1000 miles over 5
days.  The last being a 590 mile day.  I have to say the seat on the 650
was more comfortable than the Corbin on my 96/750 and equal to my Russell
Day-Long on my ST1100.  However, depending on how long your commute I'd say
the 90's 750 is a better commuting bike.  The extra power and higher is
really nice - I'm 6'3" / 200lbs.

Having said that, if I had a long commute the ST would be a dream, so if
you have more highway miles no question the PC800 would be the ticket.
Nice and comfortable, plenty of power and lots of storage.

I think the Honda NT700 is probably the dream commute bike.  Lots of
storage, good power but not too heavy (ST would be really heavy if I had to
deal with bumper to bumper).  I think the NT700 would be a great touring
bike as well.  A little underpowered for a long tour but for a weekend get
away bike that you also use as a commuter ideal.

Sean