> On 17 Mar 2017, at 17:44, Vladimír Čunát <vcu...@gmail.com
> <mailto:vcu...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I do believe the intention was for "SW distribution" etc, at least
> primarily, and the suitability for development is a by-product due to
> some properties, e.g. easy (non-)mixing of development and stable
> versions/configs.  Marc can surely remember the earlier days of NixOS.
So nix has “nix copy” functionality to do the distribution part. But the rest
of the nix system allows to describe a relatively general computation process
in Unix-like environment. I use nix derivations to run a numerical calculation
code and store intermediate steps in outputs. I imagine, there are some “SW
distribution”-oriented users facing more resistance when using nix than me
doing my thing. I also think that the nix/NixOS community will have lots of
people who appreciate generality of nix as a tool.

Yes. Like https://github.com/edolstra/nix-make
<https://github.com/edolstra/nix-make> . I wonder what didn’t work out.