> 1.  VMWare isn't open source.  It's the hands-down leader in

We used VMWare Workstation to virtualize WinXP in RHEL5 for one of our
clients. Helped him to kill two birds with one stone.

> 2.  Xen.  I am mostly familiar with Xen on Fedora/CentOS/RHEL.  It's
> quite nice.  I use it quite a lot at home and with the Fedora Project.
> Upsides:

I rarely use any GUIs and thought I would have to do lots of reading
and look at howtos for getting a VM setup using free tools under Linux
but virt-manager made it very easy under CentOS. Now if GFS2 was as
easy to setup and if we had the money for hardware based fencing
solutions then we could exploit Xen's migration features.

> Downsides

The network performance isn't what I was expecting even after
allocating a separate NIC for the VM.