On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Howard White <hwh...@vcch.com> wrote:

> Believe me, Chris; I am not here to defend WEP.  The WAP in question
> predates WPA and so does the adapter in my laptop  :)

I've seen that more times than often.  Now, most of my wireless access
points (at least, in small environments) end up being WRT54Gs with
some better Linux based firmware.... OpenWRT is amazing.

<-- snip -->

> Points taken.  We are saying the same thing here.  The point of this
> thread is to encourage discussion of more than consumer grade kit for
> such projects.  It is time to seek beyond Wally*World and BestByeBye.

I think when you get bigger than the walmart offerings, OpenWRT is
worth looking at.  I mention it above, obviously.   It's a great way
to make those little blue and gray guys last a lot longer.

-jon