Back in a former life, I was active in a user group elsewhere.

I considered putting in a 'bar swipe' on a 'checkin computer'.

The first time you visit/join, put in name, address, email, etc,
and choose some card, like Visa, Kroger, Drivers License, etc,
and swipe it.  The idea was to 'register' the card (like take the fields
in swipe strip 1 and encrypt it using password type, one way encrypting
method, and just saved.  Give the folks a 'sticker', so they can remember
what card they used.

The next meeting, just swipe the card, and you are 'registered' for
having attended that meeting.

We also found that it helpped to give away schwag, one or two things,
at each meeting.

When you have logged in, for the meeting, a random number generator
is run at the end of the meeting to choose a winner.

Officers were automatically excluded at that group, but that was
their way.

Schwag was usually an O'Riley book, software from SCO, Red Hat, etc.
Whomever we could email and beg stuff from.  The Books, we requested
a 500 word (more or less) review by the next meeting that we put on the
web site, and the 'schwag queen' (officer that handled getting the schwag,
usually the president, or vp) would send a copy and a link back to the
company.  It helped keep up 'relations' with the vendors.  Often when
we called and had 'commercial vendors' present, we would suggest them
bringing the schwag, t-shirt, mug, whatever.

We also gave schwag credit on our web site for helping sponsor the
meetings.

Enough of my ADD wanderings.  If it something sounds good, use it.
If not, the this is just more wast of all our bandwidth!