From: "Steven S. Critchfield" <cri...@basesys.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:33:13
To: <nlug-talk@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [nlug] [OT] My day job doesn't use Vista

----- "Dave Manginelli" <dmangine...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Are you saying that you don't use AT&T or that you do use AT&T but
> not
> the plan you are really supposed to pay for?  Is your usage in line
> with
> the terms of service or not?  On Howard Forums they always seem to
> use
> words like "detectability" when referring to PDANet (similar to
> joiku,
> except via Bluetooth or USB connection to laptop), which implies to
> me
> that you don't want to get caught using it...

I do use AT&T, and I just pay the PDA unlimited.

Tethering is defined as a bluetooth, USB, or IR connection to the phone.
Essentially it is the old method of making a serial connection to the
phone and then doing something like PPP to the outside network.

Using Joiku ends up using the WiFi and creates a real network for which
the phone becomes a router. I have a hard time believing there is any
detection methods out there that would pass legal scrutiny. They either
get caught guessing, or the get caught snooping. With a smart phone that
has many applications ported straight from a PC to the phone, you would
not be able to tell the difference between phone based traffic and a
single PC. Maybe if you loaded up a large number, they would notice that
the number of connections was higher than a phone would make. But if you
use it as a I'm not home right now connection, and only when other WiFi
isn't available, they don't get upset.
--
Steven Critchfield cri...@basesys.com