On Thursday 05 June 2003 04:52 pm, Jerry Peek wrote:
> On 5 June 2003 at 15:40, Glenn Burkhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Advice?
>
> I feel our momentum slowing here; thanks for waking us up, Glenn.
> Let's avoid waiting six more months until Jon has to nag us again!
> There are a few problems, like the Mandrake ndbm.h file location,
> that don't sound too tough to fix.  The longer we wait to release,
> the more little problems like this will come up.  Maybe we should
> make a fix or two, release 1.1, and then post patches (or start
> pushing for nmh 1.11) as new OS versions dribble out.  Should nmh
> be 100% perfect before it's released?  (Am I a heretic or what? :)

A heretic.  But I have no problem with declaring nmh 1.1rc1 a release,
and let it go.

> About the vi test:  How about a compromise?  Does it gain users
> a lot to have nmh test the editor's exit status and discard the
> draft on a nonzero exit?  If the user or the editor has some kind
> of error, won't that be obvious to the user -- so she can type
> "q d" at the "What now?" prompt to throw away the bogus draft?
> (Does exmh or MH-E depend on this error-exit facility?)

After thinking about this on my drive home, it seems simpliest to eliminate
the 2>&1 at the end of the line.  It looks like almost all 'vi' versions
write messages to stdout, not stdin.  And if they don't, the downside is that
there's a funny message that comes out during 'configure'.

I've checked this now with SunOS 'vi' (very old, BSD derivative), 'vim' (which
is probably what all Linux, FreeBSD, and NetBSD systems use), and
Solaris 'vi' (probably as generically System V as Sun can make it).

Any more thoughts?