On 2 June 2003 at 22:13, Glenn Burkhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   if echo 'r /nonexist-file
> q' | ex > /dev/null 2>&1
>
> It seems wrong to me to include a newline in the string this way.  It could be
> re-written as:
>
> echo 'r /nonexist-file\nq' | ex > /dev/null 2>&1

Unless I'm missing something, both make exactly the same output:

$ echo 'r /nonexist-file
q' | od -c
0000000   r       /   n   o   n   e   x   i   s   t   -   f   i   l   e
0000020  \n   q  \n
0000023

$ echo 'r /nonexist-file\nq' | od -c
0000000   r       /   n   o   n   e   x   i   s   t   -   f   i   l   e
0000020  \n   q  \n
0000023

And the first one has the advantage that it should work on *all* Bourne
shells and all systems, whether the particular version of echo will
translate \n to a newline or not.

Jerry
--
Jerry Peek, [EMAIL PROTECTED], http://www.jpeek.com/