On Dec 19, 2008, at 5:56 PM, mhadja...@gmail.com wrote:

> I want to put my car loan into the program, but i'm not sure how I
> should go about doing this.
>
> The amount financed from Chase Auto Finance is 19,680.10 for 72 months
> @ 7.85% interest rate. The loan started in October of 2007 and my
> first payment was due December 5th, 2007.
>
> Should my starting balance be the total amount of the loan, 19,680.10
> - then add interest each month, followed by a payment?
>
> If I just add my monthly statement bill, 344.72 then I won't really
> know how much I have left to pay off. So I figured by starting with
> the full loan amount i'll be able to see a reduction in my 'debt' each
> month.
>
> Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
>
> I just purchased the software today and i'm struggling to break
> Quicken habits.

Hi Mark,

Since MoneyWell doesn't calculate the loan for you yet (that is coming
in a future release), your starting balance should be the total amount
left (principal + interest). Then you can just enter the payments as
transactions. When I make a car payment from my checking account, I
create a transfer transaction and assign the outgoing transaction to
my car payment bucket.

I wouldn't bother trying to break out the interest because it really
doesn't affect your cash flow (that was a Quicken habit I had to break).

Peace,

Kevin Hoctor
ke...@nothirst.com
No Thirst Software LLC