The quick answer about -v -v can be gotten with "./nox_core --help":
  -v, --verbose           make console log verbose (shows INFO messages -- use
twice for DBG)

The longer answer is that -v -v puts it into "very verbose" mode.  NOX's
logging can actually be configured with quite a lot of flexibility through
several mechanisms, including at runtime... but the GUI doesn't currently know
anything about that.  In general, you probably DO want all levels of log
messages to be sent to the GUI so that you can then use the GUI's filtering
mechanism (which lets you filter them after the fact).  This really should be
the default for the GUI, and I have a local branch which does this, so it's
quite possible we'll see it in a future version of NOX.

About the Components section being empty... if I recall correctly (and it's
entirely possible that I don't), the Components section is populated by
watching the DBG messages about component loading when NOX starts up.  With
only one -v, they never get to the GUI.

-- Murphy