My understanding, confirmed with a native German-speaking friend last
night, is that Bordun is a musical process not connected to a
specific instrument (like continuo basso) and when used with the
pipes (Dudelsack) it refers to "Brummpfeife/n", i.e. the drones.

Rev John Clifford
42 Sir Stafford Close, Caerphilly CF83 3BA, Wales UK
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>