From another tradition - some of the best Irish fiddlers, especially from
Clare, play what at first seems painfully slow, then you realise the wonderful
things they are doing between the melody notes.
A lot of players (eg in Kerry) play far quicker for dancing than is musically
satisfying -
if the dancers stop, everyone slows down quite significantly to something
musical again.
The best Irish pipers sound so relaxed when playing that it feels slow, even
when it isn't.

Relaxation in playing music is central to the enjoyment of it - never play
faster than you can think.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Matt Seattle
Sent: 09 June 2009 14:14
To: nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu
Subject: [NSP] Re: this list is safer now

On 6/9/09, Di Jevons <d...@picklewood.info> wrote:
>  I do think however there is a danger that 'life and bounce' can be mistaken
> for 'breakneck speed'

Well said, Di. Going further, 'life and bounce' are (imho)
incompatible with 'breakneck speed'. Try, for example, to play a jig
with any kind of lilt AND to play it fast, and you'll soon stop
wanting to play it fast. This is so obvious to me now, but I admit it
took me years to arrive at the obvious.

Breakneck speed with accuracy IS impressive, as Paul points out with
some irony; it is unattainable for many (self included), and more
importantly - do you want to be impressed by music, or caressed by
music?