Matt Seattle wrote:

Breakneck speed with accuracy IS impressive, as Paul points out with some irony; it is unattainable for many (self included), and more importantly - do you want to be impressed by music, or caressed by music?

I got quite a surprise last time I recorded myself playing - it was far too fast for my liking though I had convinced myself I was playing at a relaxingly, or even tediously, slow speed. On the rare occasions I have played in public my aim has been to get the pain over with as quickly as possible for myself and the listener, but the lesson I learned was that a nice steady tempo often makes for a much pleasanter experience.

--
Anita Evans