     From: Francis Wood <oatenp...@googlemail.com>
     Subject: [NSP] Mr. Bewick, Rats and Inverted Bags
     To: "Dartmouth NPS" <nsp@cs.dartmouth.edu>
     Date: Thursday, 28 January, 2010, 16:34

   > Mr Bewick, the ingenious wood-engraver, has put on record a fact
   regarding rats nearly as mystical as any of the above. He alleges that
   ' the skins of such of them as have been devoured in their holes [for
   they are cannibals to a sad extent] have frequently been found
   curiously turned inside out, every part of them being completely
   inverted, even to the ends of the toes.'

   > (from 'The Book of Days, A Miscellany of Popular Antiquities in
   Connection with the  Calendar, Edited by R. Chambers, Parts 10,12.
   Philadelphia. jJ.B. Lippencott & Co.')
   See . . .  it's so easy that even rats can do it!
   I have no idea why the rats practised this skill. Perhaps a consequence
   of their unfortunate fascination with piping, as the sad events in
   Hamelin will demonstrate.
   Francis