On 8 Jul 2010, Ian Lawther wrote:

>Later someone
> discovered the original French  title was Le Grand Chien  not La Grande
> ChaƮne

I am that someone. Well all right, actually Rob Say told me. Having one "grand
chien" already and hankering after at least a couple more, "plus grand" if
possible
(http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images15/IrishWolfhoundFrankBrendan.JPG), the
title
tickled my fancy, as well as being a correction.

>I think that the new book is showing the correct title as well
> the adopted Northumbrian title.

I hope so, said the editor.

> "A grand chain" is a common figure in English country dance and I
> suspect that the original mistranslation assumed that this was being
> referenced in the tune title.

One of Alistair A's recordings is called The Grand Chain, but whether he or The
Shepherds collectively imported it I am uncertain - doubtless someone will know.

Julia