On 8 Jul 2010, at 19:25, Matt Seattle wrote:

> that it is in fact La Grande Chaine and that Le Grand Chien is the
>   mondegreen

I'd often wondered whether it was actually 'La Grande Chienne' (The Big Bitch)
but decided not to pursue this.

Perhaps the best gift in this thread so far is the word 'mondegreen' so thanks,
Matt, for that!

It seems there is a distinct Northumbrian connection here since the word first
appears in a mishearing of Percy's Reliques, dedicated to the Duchess of
Northumberland. This account is from the American writer Sylvia Wright who
created the word:

"When I was a child, my mother used to read aloud to me from Percy's Reliques,
and one of my favorite poems began, as I remember:

Ye Highlands and ye Lowlands,
Oh, where hae ye been?
They hae slain the Earl O' Moray,
And Lady Mondegreen."