Hans had been complaining about networksolutions not allowing him to move the
domain away from them, so I guess this was to be expected.
indeed, and transfer is pending for ages now ... looks liek they don't like to transfer

They only have 5 days to respond to a transfer request. If it's been
longer -- which it presumably has been -- you can file a complaint with
ICANN, which should hopefully push them to complete the transfer.

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/transfer-complaint-24aug16-en.pdf

Even if it's expired, you should still be able to transfer it:

    https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/name-holder-faqs-2017-10-10-en (#11)

The WHOIS info says that the domain doesn't expire until 2023-06-28, so
I'm not too sure what's going on here.

make me wonder if we should just ditch that domain and stick to the nl one only, saves money too

There are lots of links around the web to "pragma-ade.com". It might be a
good idea to phase out the .com and have all of the pages redirect to the
.nl, but I'd say that it's probably worth the ~$15/year to make sure that
pragma-ade.com isn't used to host spam/porn/malware.

-- Max