On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Am 2008-04-07 um 12:58 schrieb Mojca Miklavec:
>
> > To Hraban: encoding=uc has *zero* effect. To be honest - I doubt that
>  > you will be able to extract any more than (theoretical limit of) 256
>  > glyphs from the Type1 font with XeTeX - character slots and font
>  > glyphs are in one-to-one correlation, so I doubt that you can access
>  > the glyphs outside of those 256 slots (unless you make tfm & map
>  > files, but that's probably the reason why one wants to use XeTeX - to
>  > get rid of that encoding mess). So: I guess that Latin-1 works, but
>  > encoding=uc is ignored anyway.
>
>  Oh? I thought uc encoding would magically enhance my type1 fonts with
>  full unicode range...
>  ;-)

It just used to map \eacute (and similar) to the proper Unicode glyph.
With pdfTeX that mapping depends on font encoding, so it has to be
specified. With XeTeX and LuaTeX unicode encoding is now applied
automatically. That's much better since now even
\font\a="low-level-font-loading" \a \eacute works OK, which wasn't the
case one year ago.

Mojca