On 4-6-2010 10:03, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 09:32, luigi scarso wrote:

2) why python ? We have lua in luatex; mkiv has a lot of lua code about fonts.

Hmmm ... the guy who spent most of his time in community trying to
make python work with ConTeXt is now complaining about the programming
language? Come on ... :)

Whenever I write something I use the language I master most (even if
it's not the most suitable language for that task), so I guess that
must be the reason. But if the script proves to be useful, it's still
short enough that anyone could convert it to Lua to get rid of
dependencies on yet another language.

indeed; th ecore programs with context are on lua as it makes us independent of other installed programs but additional tools can be in any language (perl, ruby, python etc)

in that sense i think that Michael's script is for otf what texfont.rb is/was for type 1 so it's a nice addition

i'm not sure if a binary is needed as most users can simply install python