On 18-3-2011 4:27, Khaled Hosny wrote:

But it might not be a bad idea for LuaTeX to automatically perform a
pfm2afm conversion and cache the converted files when necessary, and
probably not that hard to code. On the other hand, Type 1 fonts are
legacy at this point, so it might not be worth it.

LuaTeX can load afm files thanks to the embedded, fontforge derived,
font loader, but AFAIK it does not handle pfm files at all.

Hans considers type1 fonts obsolete (and I agree with him :)) and he is
unlikely to put much effort into supporting them.

Indeed. I kicked out the last encoding related code a while ago.

Also, I only consider a type 1 font okay when it has both an afm and a pfb file and mkiv can handle that quite well (even beyond the regular tex encodings). Personally I need it for fonts that I have bought and don't want to buy again.