On Thu, 1 Aug 2013, Jannik Voges wrote:

Hello everyone,

I found a bug in the current ConTeXt Beta with externalfigure. The following
minimal example will show you what happens

\starttext

\externalfigure[cow]

\externalfigure[cow][width=10cm]

\page

\externalfigure[test]

\page

This text will appear.

This text will not appear.

\externalfigure[test][width=10cm]

This text will not appear.

\stoptext

The first two \externalfigure-commands (with cow) will give a grey placeholder with 'state:unknown' in it.

See http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Using_Graphics#Specifying_image_directories

You need to add

\setupexternalfigures
    [location={local,global,default}]

The third \externalfigure-command (\externalfigure[test]) will work, and the last one won't. In this example, you will get an empty third page and the text after the \externalfigure-command doesn't appear in the pdf. 'test' can be a pdf-file or jpeg-file (I only tested whose types of files).

I don't have the latest beta yet, so cannot comment on this.

Aditya