You are right. I was a little bit confused, because I didn't know, that you
have to add 'location=default' to get the sample files, so I thought, that
might also be buggy. 'test' is a test-file (pdf, jpeg, ...) in the current
directory (I have not mentioned that). In my second Mail I included the source
files with 'test.pdf'. You can see the bug there or when you compile the
example below. This time, the sample files are loaded correctly and you will
see, that the second graphic and sentence are missing.

\setupexternalfigures[location=default]

\starttext

\externalfigure[cow.pdf]

\page