On 11/27/2013 9:16 PM, Jan Tosovsky wrote:
On 2013-11-27 Hans Hagen wrote:
On 2013-11-17 Hans Hagen wrote:
On 11/17/2013 12:23 PM, honyk wrote:
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to fix a Palatino small caps issue using the procedure
explained here:
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Palatino_Linotype_under_MKIV

That fix seems to be obsolete nowadays and returning errors.

there are several ways to apply patches runtime, see *.lfg files
(and also fonts-mkiv.pdf)

1) I've created a sample LFG file
2) placed it into the folder where other LFG files are stored
3) removed pala.tma and pala.tmc files from the cache
4) triggered the generating

My pala.lfg file seems to be ignored:

return {
      name = "pala",
      comment = "Switching the small capped 'i' to a dotless variant
                 in Palatino Linotype.",
          remapping = {
          tounicode = true,
          unicodes = {
              ["i.sc"] = 983201,
          },
      },
}

you have to load them ... see fonts-mkiv.pdf

Thanks, I got it. Two next steps are required and one turned out as
redundant.

1) Create a sample LFG file
2) Place it into the folder where other LFG files are stored
3) NEW! Execute 'mtxrun --generate' command to include newly added LFG file
into a file database
4) NEW! Specify a new font feature referencing to this goodie:
\definefontfeature[dotlessi][mode=base,goodies=pala,unicoding=yes]
\definefontfamily[mainface][rm][Palatino
Linotype][features={default,quality,dotlessi}]
5) Trigger the generating

It does something, but not what I need :-)

My MWE:
\definefontfeature[dotlessi][mode=base,goodies=pala,unicoding=yes]
\definefontfamily[palatino][rm][Palatino
Linotype][features={default,quality,dotlessi}]
\setupbodyfont[palatino]
\starttext
Athenians \sc{Athenians}
\stoptext

This LFG core settings:
unicodes = {
    ["a.sc"] = 97,     (1)
    ["b.sc"] = 983261, (2)
},

(1) replaces all small 'a' into small caps variants - just for testing
purposes
(2) doesn't replace small caps 'i' to small caps 'b', but when small caps
text is selected, b is copied into the clipboard - so some replacement is
performed, but incomplete.

Maybe other tables need to be tweaked as well...
Has anybody any experience with this?

this mechanism assumes that the shapes match the one that unicode expects so the (default) tounicode is used ... originally this features was meant for fonts with a faulty mapping (some dingbat fonts have that)