On 2014-02-08 Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> > I haven't find any better way to extend the caption width than that
> > negative value for narrowed text. It works, but that empty space above
> > looks weird
>
> You have to force a certain width for your images because the width
> of the text space depends on the width of the images. You can use
> \framed (instead of loffset/roffset you can also set a fixed width) or
> \simplealignedbox to set the width of the images.
>
> \setupexternalfigures[location=default]
>
> \defineframed[CombinationBox][frame=off,offset=none,loffset=3cm,roffset
> =3cm]
>
> \starttext
>
> \startplacefigure[location={force,none}]
>   \startcombination[nx=1,ny=2,align={last,hz,hanging},style=\itx]
>     % first image
>     \startcontent
>
> %\simplealignedbox{11cm}{middle}{\externalfigure[cow][width=5cm]}
>         \CombinationBox{\externalfigure[cow][width=5cm]}
>       \stopcontent
>       \startcaption
>         \input{ward}
>       \stopcaption
>       % second image
>     \startcontent
>
> %\simplealignedbox{11cm}{middle}{\externalfigure[cow][width=5cm]}
>         \CombinationBox{\externalfigure[cow][width=5cm]}
>       \stopcontent
>       \startcaption
>         \input{ward}
>       \stopcaption
>   \stopcombination
> \stopplacefigure
>
> \stoptext

Thanks a lot, it is much simpler! I also like that \start \stop structure
which makes the code more clear.

Just for future reference: CombinationBox extends the current image width
with the fixed value. When different image widths are used in your document,
the caption width varies as well. To keep the consistency within the
document I've chosen that simplealignedbox instead.

Jan