> On 1. Aug 2017, at 12:15, r.erm...@hccnet.nl wrote:
>
> While understanding what it means, I guess this might imply that it is
> difficult (?) or impossible (?) to correctly process files such as the knuth
> text and for that matter any other letter text that contains regular Context
> commands.
>
> Nevertheless, for the moment this problem remains unsolved.
>
> What would you advise as the next step?
>
> Should the letter be somehow set-up outside xml setups rather than inside?
> Should the letter texts (and a specific knuth sample text) be reformatted as
> xml?

So: you want to import the letter texts from an external file. Easiest
solution: instead of simply \input knuth, try this:

{\pushcatcodetable
 \catcodetable\ctxcatcodes\input knuth
 \popcatcodetable}

As you can see, changing the catcode regime processes the file correctly.
“Expansion” means something different in TeX speak.

Other possibilities: write your letter body in xml, or write the letters in
buffers and use \processTEXbuffer.

Thomas