8 x 500gb = 4tb, raw.
RAID5 = 3.5 raw
RAID6 or RAID5 + hot spare = 3tb raw

Space dwindles quickly when reserving disks for failover/availability.

How many VMs? What apps running on them?

It's certainly going to be a screaming machine, regardless - depending
on type and how many procs are in it, though I'd consider upping the
RAM to 128.

Does it have a 10gb NIC? If the infrastructure supports it, I'd
strongly consider that.

Kurt