Used NetApp for over 7 years across two jobs. Never seen this behavior. I
do know for sure that snapshots are read only. They can't be
deleted/modified.

Just a suggestion, retain snapshots longer if you have the space. We keep
96 hourly, 60 daily, and 26 weekly. Our snapshot footprint is about 14% of
volume, but dedupe and compression savings is 36%.