On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:40 AM, Eldridge, Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
> No one is directly connecting to the SQL box but their app
> talks to one server that is making the connections for it. Our lovely
> Softchoice person is saying that we need sql calsĀ  for everyone (1700+) that
> use this app.

  You're both right.

  Their app will be the only connection made to MS-SQL.

  You need CALs for everybody who uses the app.

  Microsoft's license terms are that you need a CAL for anyone who
uses their stuff, whether directly or indirectly.  I'm not an MS-SQL
guy so I can't quote chapter and verse, but I remember that's the way
it works.

  If one doesn't like this, I suggest complaining to Microsoft, and/or
switching to a different database server product.  If one "must" have
MS-SQL, then one must accept Microsoft's terms.

-- Ben

~ Finally, powerful endpoint security that ISN'T a resource hog! ~
~ <http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/Business/VIPRE-Enterprise/>  ~

Reply via email to