one of many ways of doing this:
play with a Noise node set to size of 1. Follow up with a Grade node and use it's black and white point as well as gamma to adjust how many dots you get, follow with a Glint node for star shapes.

You can then use a larger, animated noise pattern to slightly multiply the original one by to get some atmospheric pulsing.

quick and dirty:

Noise {
 inputs 0
 zoffset {{frame/300 i}}