Gary,

Just worked on a project that involved using CG velocity and depth channels...
You can use the velocity channels, depth channel and a VectorBlur node to
control post-render motion blur quite nicely.

Depending on what program generates the velocity channels, you may have to swap
the channels around a bit to get the u and v motion channels (analogous to x
and y) in the right place. The offset and multiply values in the VectorBlur
node will likely need to be adjusted to get the right amount of blur desired.
And, you may need to turn on the mask and use the alpha to limit what you’re
blurring. For example, I was motion blurring fire, rendered on black, out of
Fume. I used a shuffle node to copy the red and green channels from the
velocity layer into a new layer in Nuke with x and y channels (for my own
sanity), which I selected in the VectorBlur node’s "uv channels". I used the
inverted alpha as a mask and ended up having to crank the multiply value up to
40 to get the amount of blur I wanted.

I also had an Alembic file with the original camera used for the render. I fed
that to a MotionBlur3D node, along with the depth channel, which generated the
uv motion channels and then used a VectorBlur node to add camera blur to the
whole scene. Using the depth channel in conjunction with the motion vectors
allows for a more correct approximation of “real” rendered camera blur.

Rich

Rich Bobo
Senior VFX Compositor
Armstrong-White
http://armstrong-white.com/

Email:  richb...@mac.com
Mobile:  (248) 840-2665
Web:  http://richbobo.com/

"Man does not live by a turkey in every oven or a color TV set in every home.
Man lives by faith and hope and love, by the star on the horizon, by the
trumpet that will not call retreat."
- E. Merrill Root