Yeah Ron but how do you manage that when there are 10 VFX houses working on
your movie?   Big companies like Technicolor/MPC and Deluxe/Method/(all of
former Ascent Media) are huge corporations that aren't in the creative
business for any other reason then to make money.   So if the management of
those power players can get it cheap and don't care about burn out and turn
over because schools will replenish the supply yearly.  They Keep there top
staff happy and everything and everyone else is disposable as long as it
keeps the bottom line in the black.    That then forces most others into
that game to compete.  I don't know if it affects ILM, Weta, and Pixar but
i'm sure it does at some level.  I have a friend that is a mid that was
just hired at $18/h (canadian) and they wouldn't budge.  He either took it
or didn't get the job.   This is one of the largest VFX houses in the world
doing this.    I wish it could be like smaller movies with 200-400 shots
all done at one place.  I just don't see how that works on a movie with
2400 shots spread across multiple companies.    There must be a way to do
it with cinesync and dailies and such but maybe its just to much when its
not planned out well at the very get go.   Look what happened with Red
Tails.  Whole sections of animation just totally redone after delivery.
OUCH.   That then put a hurt on some companies Money and time wise.  So now
they can't afford to higher seniors and by measure can not afford to not
hire seniors.   What a mess.

Randy S. Little
http://www.rslittle.com/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2325729/