hm, yeah, it does seem to work. yesterday's set up didn't for some reason, but now it works better.
Forgot about the ParticleSetup node, that certainly helps.
For some reason I can't use a rate channel in combination with emiter_order set to "randomly". All particles simply vanish when I do.

Will have to work around that one for now.
Anyway, thanks for the reply. I really hope we will see some improvements with the particle system, along with better rotational control and support for clustering etc.

Cheers,
frank