On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 6:24 PM, Bocci, Matthew (Nokia - GB)
<matthew.bo...@nokia.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Following the lengthy discussion on this list about the pros and cons of the
> three encapsulation formats, we would like to summarise where the main points
> of the discussion and to provide some thoughts on next steps.
>
> As a reminder, the question that we asked was: For a given encap, do you have
> significant technical objections?
>
> Thank you for the lively discussion. We have summarised the key points for
> each draft as follows:
>
> Geneve
> ----------
> - Can’t be implemented cost-effectively in all use cases because variable
> length header and order of the TLVs makes is costly (in terms of number of
> gates) to implement in hardware
> - Fork-lift upgrade from widely deployed VXLAN (no backwards compatibility
> mechanisms)
> - Header doesn’t fit into largest commonly available parse buffer (256 bytes
> in NIC). Cannot justify doubling buffer size unless it is mandatory for
> hardware to process additional option fields.
>
> GUE
> ----------
> - There were a significant number of objections related to the complexity of
> implementation in hardware, similar to those noted for Geneve above.

Some points of clarification:

The only similarities with Geneve is that they both have variable
length headers and have a header length field. GUE does _not_ use TLVs
and instead uses flag-fields that are well ordered, compact, and
amenable to HW techniques for parsing such as TCAM.

As I understand it the answer to extensibility for VXLAN is to use
NSH. So then if Geneve and GUE with extensions are compared to
VXLAN+NSH then VXLAN+NSH is no less complicated to implement in HW
than Geneve and GUE. Conversely, Geneve and GUE be easily used without
and extensions so in that mode they are no more complicated to
implement in HW than plain VXLAN. I don't think the objection that
VXLAN has less complexity in HW implementation than Geneve or GUE has
much merit.

> - In addition, there were concerns raised that GUE does not support a
> sufficient number of extensions due to its reliance on a limited flags field,
> which is already almost 45% allocated.

We can easily extend the the number of flags in GUE the initial 15
bits are allocated (the sixteenth would indicate a field of additional
flags).

Tom