Matthew, Sam,
as it was mentioned in other posts some of the encapsulations you list below are implemented and being deployed as we speak.

We have an opportunity to learn, from those real life deployments, what are the requirements that needs to be addressed, especially with regard to how much extensibility is necessary and what kind of metadata might be needed.

I think we should take advantage of that opportunity, and I don't see as detrimental that the WG is not going to select or, worst, start afresh the design of a single encapsulation. Control planes will eventually "adapt" the data path differences.

Given that we are seeing those encaps in various implementation, it would make sense to document them as informational RFC. As an author of VXLAN-GPE, I would certainly be happy to work toward that end.

Is there an action that the WG should take to make that happen? Or is it left to the initiative of the authors?

Thanks,
Fabio