Anoop,

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Anoop Ghanwani <an...@alumni.duke.edu>
wrote:

> Alia,
>
> The obvious way to handle multiple DCs with different encap is to use a
> gateway.  The simplest gateway would terminate one encap domain and start
> another.  OAM, etc. would work within a domain.  To work across domains,
> OAM would have to be run at a higher layer.  This is not too much different
> than, e.g., mapping from 802.1ah/PBB to MPLS.

So the least common functionality is all that could be assumed?  No
extensions or additional information would be easy to translate.  OAM -
even for things like Path MTU discovery(that matter more if going across a
public Internet between data-centers)  - would not work?  What higher layer
would you see the OAM working at?  Do you have a proposed solution or even
brainstormy ideas?

Running multiple encaps within a single DC would be done under supervision
> of the NVA.  The NVA would keep track of which NVEs are capable of a given
> encap and make sure that a given encap is used only when both the source
> and destination NVEs can support it.

Your answer assumes that there is no need for the underlay network to
understand the encapsulation.  It also ignores any issues around multicast.

Can we explore both of them?

> It adds complexity but the problems are not insurmountable.

I hear you - so let's talk about what the problems are and the theoretical
benefits?