Here's another good one on the wisdom of the telcos on-going FTTH
investments, the ROI cable is getting onthe $90 billion they have
already invested,and the possible effects net neutrality could
have on them. Thought provoking.
Jim

> Analysts Question Bell Investments
>
> Read the full article at:
> http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6316081.html?display=Breaking+News&referral=SUPP

Analysts Question Bell Investments

By Ted Hearn 3/14/2006 7:54:00 PMWall Street analysts told a
Senate committee Tuesday that the billions of dollars being spent
by AT&T Inc. and Verizon Communications Inc. to compete with cable
might not produce a profit.

“There is a high degree of skepticism that the substantial
investment underway at the [phone companies] to deliver broadband
networks to the home will deliver a satisfactory return on the
incremental investment,” said Luke Szymczak, vice president of
JPMorgan Asset Management.

AT&T and Verizon are installing high-capacity fiber lines to
rapidly deliver voice, video and data in a high-stakes battle with
cable.

“The costs of these networks are far beyond what the returns of
the new services can provide,” said Craig Moffett, VP and senior
analyst of U.S. cable and satellite broadcasting at Sanford C.
Bernstein & Co.

The two analysts appeared before the Senate Commerce Committee,
which is expected to vote on a bill next month that would ease
phone-company entry into cable markets and perhaps include
network-neutrality safeguards.

The battle between cable and the phone giants has put sharp
pressure on the stocks of both industries.

Aryeh Bourkoff, managing director at UBS Warburg LLC, expressed
concern about the regulatory climate facing cable after the
industry invested more than $90 billion on network upgrades to
roll out digital TV and high-speed-Internet access.

He referred to possible network-neutrality and a la carte
programming mandates, as well as less burdensome franchising
requirements on phone companies, as negatives for cable.

“As media consumption over the Internet develops at a rapid pace,
I believe it is too early to introduce regulation on key issues
such as a la carte pricing and packaging and on net neutrality, as
the market is still in its early stages,” Bourkoff said.

Moffett, an opponent of network-neutrality mandates by government,
warned that if network owners were barred from creating a “fast
lane” on the Internet to generate more revenue to cover capital
expenditures, they would have to recover much, if not all, of
their cost from subscribers, whose monthly bills would likely rise
substantially.

“Mandated net neutrality would further sour Wall Street’s taste
for broadband-infrastructure investments, making it increasingly
difficult to sustain necessary capital returns, and it would
likely mean that consumers alone would be required to foot the
entire bill for whatever network investments do get made,” Moffett
said.

Investors dislike policy upheavals in Washington that distract
them from focusing on market fundamentals, said Kevin Moore,
wireline telecom analyst at Wachovia Securities.

“We have enough to worry about in considering the rapidly changing
competitive and technological environment. In other words, we want
regulatory stability and certainty,” Moore said.