Hi Tulika,

> On 16 Sep 2016, at 15:16, Tulika Goel <tuls.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just wanted to know if there are any plans to support a major version
> increment in future? Or even in current implementation, is there a scenario
> under which a new Version object is created with a name which is generated
> by incrementing the first number in version name for e.g. 1.0 -> 2.0 -> 3.0
> ?

The version number reflects what’s the predecessor of the given version entry.
If you have a few direct successors of the jcr:rootVersion, they’ll have
numbers 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc. After that, the successor of 2.0 will be 2.1, etc.
The method determining the new version number is
ReadWriteVersionManager#calculateVersion and its javadoc contains a detailed
description and even an asciiart ;) You’ll find it here:

https://jackrabbit.apache.org/oak/docs/apidocs/org/apache/jackrabbit/oak/plugins/version/ReadWriteVersionManager.html#calculateVersion(org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.spi.state.NodeBuilder,%20org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.spi.state.NodeBuilder)

I don’t think it is or will be possible to create the version number manually.
You can, however, label a version. The labels can be any strings, so it’s
possible to use them to enforce any versioning schema.

Regards,
Tomek

--
Tomek Rękawek | Adobe Research | www.adobe.com