Hi,

I think the core of the problem is that the memory node store doesn't always behave properly when initialised with something else than a MemoryNodeState. Consider:

NodeState base = new AlienNodeState();
NodeStore store = new MemoryNodeStore(base);
NodeBuilder builder = store.getRoot().builder();
store.merge(builder, EmptyHook.INSTANCE, CommitInfo.EMPTY);

The merge call will throw an IAE if base.builder() does return a builder instance that doesn't inherit from MemoryNodeBuilder.

To this respect I think your fix is basically correct, it should just be applied deeper down. Instead of wrapping the base states before passing them to the MemoryNodeStore constructor, I think that constructor should do the wrapping in case the passed base state is of a different type.

Michael