: -----Original Message-----
: Behalf Of ext Joly, Frederic

: > -----Original Message-----
: > From: ofono-boun...@ofono.org [mailto:ofono-boun...@ofono.org] On Behalf Of
Marcel Holtmann
: > Sent: Wednesday, November 03, 2010 11:40 AM
--
: > Or do we expect oFono core to do something with this data? I am under
: > the impression that oFono core is just a pipe here.

I would not expect oFono core to do anything with assistance data, last I
looked oFono does not have positioning engine that needs helper data to enhance
fix time.

Positioning engine, whether in Linux or in GPR chip, interfaces user plane
A-GPS OMA SUPL servers and control plane A-GPS (plus 3GPP commands) to cellular
network residing servers. Both interfaces, in the end, point to 3GPP TS's with
ASN.1 BER encoded content for assistance data. Control plane or user plane
A-GPS servers do not do XML formats. Only 27.007 introduces format conversion.
So raw pipe, as Sjur proposed, but with ASN.1 formatted payload without payload
conversions in modem NOR in Linux side (oFono core, modem plugin or positioning
engine) to XML.

: > And in conclusion we have XML and ASN.1 adding some overhead to the
: > actual data that is encoded. None of them is coming for free.
:
: > If we wanna look at this not from the 27.007 standard angle, then we
: > have to look at what the users of this D-Bus are talking and what
: would
: > be easiest for them.

OMA SUPL specifications point to 3GPP 44.031 and TS 25.331. The common
nominator for positioning engines is OMA and non-27.007 TS's use of ASN.1
formatted data. TS 27.007 from positioning user view is the odd standard.

: As of today, I'm suspicious about proposing the XML format as the only
: ofono solution.
: Do we have commitments from GPS vendors or positioning framework
: vendors or telephone integrators that they are going to use the XML
: format?
: Does STE GPS framework supports these XML formats?

As above, positioning engine has to be ASN.1 capable when user plane A-GPS is
used. Products over different mobile platforms do user plane A-GPS, control
plane with AT interface introduced XML just adds overhead.

  Marko