This is why I also don't think a collective effort would work. The best
way I see a third party logo coming to carry any weight in the market is
by looking at examples where this has already happened. You have a
publisher with respectable market penetration build the logo for their own
use and then say "hey, if you guys want to use it too, here are the terms.
If you don't like it, you don't use it."

Superlink works because it was established by a middle rung company that
already had recognizable branding. Small press is able to take advantage
of that, but it certainly wouldn't be nearly as effective if every
Superlink publisher was altering the logo to suit their own, specific
desires, or if everyone publishing under the logo had a voice in its terms
of use.

There's definately a difference in the prospective success of the
collective ownership model and the "choose an alpha and the rest of the
pack will follow" model.

Steven Trustrum
President

Misfit Studios