2009/2/5 S'orlok Reaves <sorlok_rea...@yahoo.com>:

>> Nice! However, the JAR file doesn't work for me:
>
> Weird. Try from the command line/shell:
> java -jar Desktop_HVM_0.1.jar
>
> Failing that, there's a slim chance that your JVM just hates you, and isn't
> including the JAR itself in the classpath. Then try:
> java -cp Desktop_HVM_0.1.jar hetus.hvm.MainPanel
>
> I've tried this on XP, Vista, and Ubuntu. If you're running something
> different, let me know. Also, are you running sun-java, or something else?

These two both give me a new error:
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: Bad
version number in .class file
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)

I've no idea what I've got

java version "1.5.0_06"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

>> Looking at the source, I realise that I never noticed how
>> elegant certain things are in a stack based language.
>
> Thanks!
>

>> Have you given any thought to how you might achieve support
>> for dynamic typing?
>
> Sadly, I have not. My goal with HVM 1.0 was just to mimic Hamsterspeak. Any
> thoughts you might have are welcomed.

I'll get back to you. Do you know of any Forth derivatives with types?
I have no what Java bytecode looks like.

>> "Henceforth will never have objects ... What if HS implements
>> primitive objects? (It's in the plan!)
>
> Whoops! I should have read the full plan first. Well, the JVM features an
> object-oriented bytecode. I'll probably just steal from that. Unfortunately,
> this defeats my goal of having Henceforth not require a compiler.

What do you mean by not requiring a compiler? Writing HVM bytecode
(Format B) by hand? Or format T?
I doubt that objects would cause more complication than due to dynamic
typing and arrays. I didn't mean to suggest full blown object
orientation, but something like C structs. And maybe methods or
Python-style (duck-typing) polymorphism, because that is very useful.
I'm going to ask for a picture from everyone of what they think is
appropriate.

>> or static typing"... Does Henceforth have any typing at
>> all at the moment?
>
> Nope, just integers. (Strings are hacked). I know you guys are planning
> floating point math, so I'll have to deal with it eventually.

Well floating point was just an idea, and wasn't even the big idea.
The big idea is arrays (and especially maps).

>> "Henceforth will never have...
>
> My goal is to keep Henceforth simple; it already has enough excess baggage
> from HSpeak. I guess when you guys add objects and floating point math, I'll
> have to re-evaluate the language. My current to-do list includes:
> 1) Advanced slices (done) and HVM 1.0
> 2) RELEASE
> 3) New features to GAME_FMF
> 4) Re-work slices to fit more with James's idea
> 5) RELEASE
> 6) HVM 2.0
>
> In other words, I want to push for the next release so I can get feedback
> from you guys, and see if Henceforth really does allow games to run as fast
> as I'd hoped. If I have to toss all this work out the window for HVM 2.0,
> that's fine (part of development) --but I want to give it a fair chance first.
>

> All the best,
> -->Seth

I hate to bring up all these plans when you've just finished such a
detailed design. I don't want to make overly complicated
specifications that inhibit the implementation of other interpreters,
but keep things simple/openended where possible.