Sent on the move...

On 2 Jul 2012, at 21:20, Stefan Stavrev <stavrevste...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You mean it is complicated because conversion formulas are expensive, or lack
> of agreement in the whole color spaces thing? I mean, there is a lot of
> confusion about the color spaces, different names for things, different
> standards, I guess that is what you mean?

I'll have to say that colour spares like hsv/hsi/etc don't really have much
grounding in how we see images, nor how we think of colour so the best they do
is encode an arbitrary alternative set of data channels, that algorithms have
been designed to work in. They can have poor properties such as none smooth and
even none continuos functions making them less useful for image contexts.

As is often the case 'better' results can be had from a more thorough 'correct'
implementation but at the cost of some computation/complexity. There are colour
science based encodings that can express colour in colourfulness and intensity
terms, but they rely on knowing the original encoding more completely e.g.
Rec709/sRGB, in order to transform correctly.

Kevin