simgunz added a comment.

  In D15580#552773 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15580#552773>, @ngraham wrote:

  > In D15580#552455 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15580#552455>, @simgunz
wrote:

  > > When an annotation is selected its annotation toolbar button is checked
and Browse Mode is checked, exactly as in the current Okular version.
  > >  When you select a quick annotation tool what happens is that the
corresponding annotation action gets checked. In a sense a quick annotation is
just an alias for an effective annotation with a specified set of settings
(color, etc.). For this reason the quick annotation cannot have a checked
state.
  > >  This however has a quirkiness in the case the annotation toolbar is
hidden. In that case we are in Browse Mode and an annotation tool is active but
we do not see the corresponding checked action in the hidden toolbar. This can
be "solved" by showing the annotation toolbar when a quick annotation is
selected, but I think it is going to become frustrating very soon.

  I propose the following solution:

  - Clicking a quick annotation shows the annotation toolbar (in addition to
what already happen as checking the corresponding action)

  This has the following benefits:

  - DIscoverability. Once a user selects an annotation from the quick
annotation list, he discovers the existence of the annotation toolbar
  - We do not need an extra action Show Annotation Toolbar which would be the
third copy of Tools > Annotations and Settings > Toolbars Shown > Annotation
Toolbar and desynced from them. Moreover when the toolbar is visible clicking
on Show Annotation Toolbar does nothing.
  - Making the quick annotations checkable is a duplication of functions from
me. Copies of the same annotation can be checkable in two different toolbars.
Leaving as it is now the quick annotations are just a proxy to the annotation
toolbar, not  a tool on its own.

  Bottom line: to use the annotations you have to have the annotation toolbar
open, which makes sense and it is in agreement with the current behavior of
Okular.

  See the current implementation.

REPOSITORY
  R223 Okular

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D15580

To: simgunz, #okular, #vdg
Cc: trickyricky26, simgunz, ltoscano, cfeck, aacid, davidhurka, knambiar,
ngraham, tobiasdeiminger, okular-devel, johnzh, andisa, siddharthmanthan,
maguirre, fbampaloukas, joaonetto, kezik, tfella, darcyshen