I dont' think there's a way to merge them manually, but the two
differences in the editions that could be keeping them apart (and it
probably takes both of these to do that) are:

title:
Diseases of the intestines;
v.
title:
Diseases of the intestines;
subtitle:
a textbook for practitioners and students of medicine

and

publisher:
W. Wood and company
v.
publisher:
William Wood,

The publisher counts for less than the title, so adding the subtitle to
the shorter one may be enough for them to be considered the same work.
So I'd recommend editing the editions (and I'll not touch them myself so
we don't interfere with each other), and then wait a day or so (I don't
know if that's enough) and see if they come together in the work.

kc